Current Project, The Generated Word (working title)
I am currently working on a book, a monograph on computer-generated books.
Department of Communication and Digital Studies
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401 (540) 654-2355
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / www.zachwhalen.net / @zachwhalen
University of Mary Washington
|Associate Professor of Digital Studies, Department of English, Linguistics and Communication.
||2014 - present
|Teaching, Technology, and Innovation Fellow
||2015 - 2017
|Assistant Professor of New Media, Department of English, Linguistics and Communication.
||2008 - 2014
University of Florida
|Teaching Assistant, Department of English.
||2002 - 2008
|Alumni Doctoral Fellow.
||2004 - 2008
|Image Lab Assistant, CLAS Computing.
||2003 - 2008
|Research Assistant, Comics Studies.
- Ph.D. in English; University of Florida, 2008
- Focus: Digital Media/Visual Rhetoric, Video Game Studies
- Dissertation: "The Videogame Text: Typography and Textuality."
- Directors: Dr. Donald Ault and Dr. Terry Harpold.
- M.A. in English; University of Florida; May 2004
- Focus: Digital Media Studies
- Thesis: "Play Along: Video Game Music as Metaphor and Metonymy."
- Directors: Dr. J. Yellowlees Douglas, Dr. Donald Ault.
- B.A. in Philosophy, English, minor in Music; Carson-Newman College; May 2002
- Honors Thesis: "TheorySpace v2.03 : Applications of Critical Theory in Hypertext Literature"
- Directors: Dr. Ernest Lee and Dr. D. Brian Austin.
Honors, Grants and Awards
- Outstanding Mid-Career Faculty Award, 2017.
- Teaching, Technology and Innovation Fellowship, 2015-2017.
- CAS Summer Pedagogy Grant, 2016.
- UMW Jepson Fellowship, 2013 - 2014
- UMW Faculty Development Supplemental Grants (travel funding), 10 total between 2009 and 2014
- Faculty Research Grant, Summer 2009 (UMW)
- Designated Travel Grant, 2009 (TeachUMW )
- Alumni Fellowship, 2004 - 2008 (University of Florida)
- Grinter Fellowship, 2002 - 2004 (University of Florida)
- Departmental Travel Awards, 3 awards from 2002 - 2007 (University of Florida)
- Disability in Comic Books and Graphic Narratives.
- Eds. Chris Foss, Jonathan W. Gray and Zach Whalen. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2016.
- Playing the Past: History and Nostalgia in Video Games.
- Eds. Zach Whalen and Laurie N. Taylor. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 2008.
- "The Many Authors of The Several Houses of Brian, Spencer, Liam, Victoria, Brayden, Vincent, and Alex: Authorship, Agency, and Appropriation"
- The Journal of Creative Writing Studies. 4:1 (2019). <https://scholarworks.rit.edu/jcws/vol4/iss1/>
- "Teaching with Objects: Individuating Media Archaeology in Digital Studies"
- The Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy. 15 (2019).
- "Deviant Materialities: Reflective Surfaces and Hollow Bodies in CSI"
- Refractory: a Journal of Entertainment Media. 13 (2008). <http://blogs.arts.unimelb.edu.au/refractory/2008/05/24/deviant-materials-reflecting-surfaces- and-hollow-bodies-in-csi-zach-whalen/>
- "Game Studies and Web 2.0: Finding an Audience Online"
- Flow. Department of Radio-TV-Film at UT Austin. Special Video Games Issue (2007). <http://flowtv.org/?p=51>
- "Game/Genre: A critique of Generic Formulas in Video Games in the Context of 'The Real'"
- Works and Days 22:43/44 (2004): 289 - 303.
- "Play Along: An Approach to Video Game Music"
- Game Studies: The International Journal of Computer Game Research
- "Ludology -- Who Gets to Play?"
- M/C: A Journal of Media and Culture 7:2. (March 2004). <http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0403/08-ludology.php>.
- "From Feats of Clay to Narrative Prose/Thesis."
- Disability in Comic Books and Graphic Narratives. Eds. Chris Foss, Jonathan W. Gray and Zach Whalen. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- "Mainframe Games."
- Encyclopedia of Video Games. Ed. Mark J.P. Wolf. Greenwood Press, 2013.
- "Channel F for Forgotten: The Video Entertainment System."
- Before the Crash. Ed. Mark J.P. Wolf. Wayne State University Press, 2012.
- Taylor, Laurie N. and Zach Whalen. "Introduction to Playing the Past."
- Playing the Past: Video Games, History, and Memory. Eds. Zach Whalen and Laurie N. Taylor. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt UP, 2008.
- "Film Music vs. Game Music: The Case of Silent Hill."
- Music, Sound and Multimedia: From the Live to the Virtual. Ed. Jamie Sexton. Edinburgh: Edinburgh U P, 2007.
- "Cruising in San Andreas: Ludic Space and Urban Aesthetics in Grand Theft Auto"
- The Meaning and Culture of Grand Theft Auto. Ed. Nathan Garrelts. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press, 2006.
Other Scholarly Writing
- "Postword" to Golem by Nick Montfort.
- Golem. Dead Alive, 2021. <https://deadalivemagazine.com/press/golem.html>
- "Hardestest - Navigating Patterns in Super Hexagon"
- Gamers with Glasses. 5 October 2020. <https://www.gamerswithglasses.com/features/hardestest-navigating-patterns-in-super-hexagon>
- "Review of The Future was Here and Codename Revolution."
- American Journal of Play. 6:1. (Fall 2013). <http://www.journalofplay.org/issues/6/1/book- review/6-future-was-here-commodore-amiga-jimmy-maher>
- "Created by Warren Robinnett"
- In Media Res. Politics of Media Archaeology, Ed. Matthew Stoddard. 9 August 2013. <http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2013/08/09/created-warren-robinett>.
- "Mr. and Mrs. Beauchamp of Olympus Heights"
- Play the Past. 20 August 2013. <http://www.playthepast.org/?p=3974>
- "It Moves"
- In Media Res. Digital Comics, Ed. Roger Whitson. 23 February 2012. <http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2012/02/23/it-moves>.
Conferences and Presentations
- Workshop on Computer-Generated Books
- If, Then: Technology and Poetics, October 18, 2021. Online.
- University of Pittsburgh, October 28, 2021. Online.
- Northeastern University, March 8, 2022. Online.
- "game(text): videogames and textual aesthetics"
- Invited Guest Lecture. Center for Digital Discourse and Culture, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, February 12, 2010.
- "The Videogame Text"
- Invited Guest Lecture. Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities' Digital Dialogues series. University of Maryland. October 14, 2009.
- "Can a Computer-Generated Book Matter?: NaNoGenMo as Critical Media Art"
- 2022 Conference of the Electronic Literature Organization. May 20, 2022. Online.
- "Reading Energy Crisis Poems"
- 2021 Conference of the Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts. October 2, 2021. Online.
- "The 2020 Presidential Debate But Only The Parts Where Someone Breathes Loudly Or Sighs"
- 2021 International Digital Media Arts Association Conference, "Broken Media." June 26, 2021. Online.
- "The Generated Word: Metaphoric, Metonymic, and Operationalist"
- 2021 Conference of the Electronic Literature Organization. May 26, 2021. Online.
- "Digitally Intensive Across Disciplines"
- UMW Faculty Academy. May 13, 2021.
- "From 'Digital Humanities' to 'Digital Studies' or 'Tactical Interdisciplinarity'
- Association for Computers and the Humanities 2019. July 26, 2019. Pittsburgh, PA.
- "NaNoGenMoCat: A Database of Computer Generated Novels"
- 2019 Conference of the Electronic Literature Organization. July 16, 2019. Cork, Ireland.
- "DGST101.net: The Un-Textbook"
- Computers and Writing 2019. June 21, 2019. East Lansing, MI.
- "Against Blogging"
- Domains 2019. June 11, 2019. Durham, NC.
- "Computers Reading Computers' Writing"
- 2018 Conference of the Electronic Literature Organization. August 14, 2018. Montreal, CA.
- "The Physical Spaces of Digital Media"
- Computers and Writing 2018. May 25, 2018. Fairfax, VA.
- "Ethical Open Pedagogy"
- 2018 Modern Language Association Convention, New York, NY. January 7, 2018.
- "Response: Curating Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities"
- 2017 Modern Language Association Convention, Philadelphia, PA, January 5, 2017.
- "Open Pedagogies: Levels of Learning, Support, and Community" (with Lee Skallerup-Bessette)
- 2016 Open Education Conference, Richmond, VA, November 3, 2016.
- "Twitter Bots, Operational Aesthetics & Dark UI"
- 2016 Electronic Literature Organization Conference, Victoria, BC, June 11, 2016.
- "Cat Facts, Animated GIFs, and Digital Community"
- 2016 UMW Faculty Gathering, May 11, 2016.
- "What Video Game History says about New Media Futures"
- 2015 Digital Scholarship Colloquium. UMW. February 4, 2015.
- "Airstream Futures"
- 2015 Modern Language Association Convention, Vancouver, BC, January 11, 2015.
- "Protest Bots"
- Bot Summit 2014. November 8, 2014. Online.
- "Artistic and Literary Bots in Social Media"
- 2014 Electronic Literature Organization Conference. Milwaukee, WI, June 19, 2014.
- "Lexia to Perplexia (2000 – 2013)"
- 2014 Modern Language Association Convention, Chicago, IL, January 4, 2014
- "_ebooks, Typography, and Twitter Art"
- 2014 Modern Language Association Convention, Chicago, IL, January 5, 2014.
- "Videogame Typography and its Antecedents"
- 2013 Society for Textual Scholarship International Interdisciplinary Conference, March 6, 2013.
- "OCR and the Vestigial Aesthetics of Machine Vision"
- 2013 Modern Language Association Convention, Boston, MA, January 3, 2013.
- "A Counterfactual Historiography of Three Game Platforms"
- 2012 Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts Conference, Milwaukee, WI, September 29, 2012.
- "From Digital Storytelling to Electronic Literature"
- 2012 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 16, 2012.
- "'//create magnetic children': Game Code as Critical Paratext"
- 2012 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Boston, MA, March 23, 2012.
- "Close Enough"
- 2012 Modern Language Association Convention, Seattle, WA, January 7, 2012.
- "Alternate Reality Games, Transmedia Textuality, and the Immaterial Archive"
- 2011 Modern Language Association Convention, Los Angeles, CA, January 8, 2011.
- "Is Digital Scholarship Really Scholarship?"
- 2010 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 12, 2010.
- "Zork and the Videogame Canon, or, a Program for Videogame Pedagogy"
- 2010 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA, March 20, 2010.
- "Alternate Reality Games and Futures of Textuality"
- 5th Annual Florida Digital Assembly Conference: Futures of Digital Studies, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. February 25, 2010.
- "How I use Drupal to roll my own"
- 2009 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 14, 2009.
- "Altering Reality: Teaching with and about ARGs"
- 2009 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 14, 2009.
- "Ideology and Discourse in Videogame Co[ntext]de"
- Southern American Studies Association Biennial Meeting. George Mason University. Fairfax, VA. February 12, 2009.
- "An Archaeology of the Videogame Image"
- 2008 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Philadelphia, PA. March 7, 2008.
- "Quest for Saddam / Quest for Bush: Fantastic Abstractions in Videogame Rhetoric"
- UF English Graduate Organization 7th Annual Conference. Gainesville, FL. October 18, 2007.
- "Heads-Up Display: Text in the Videogame Interface"
- 2007 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Chicago, IL. March 9, 2007.
- "Lost in Emulation: World of Difference in Videogame Typography"
- 3rd Annual UF Game Studies Conference, "World Building: Space and Community." Gainesville, FL. March 1, 2007.
- "Bodies and/as/of Evidence: CSI: Dark Motives and Uncanny Doubles"
- PCAS/ACAS 2005 Conference. Jacksonville, FL. October 4, 2005.
- "Reading as Cryptography: The Role of Encoding and Decoding in Digital and Print Culture"
- Elective Affinities IAWIS/AIERTI 7th International Conference on Word & Image Studies, Philadelphia, PA. September 26, 2005.
- "House of Leaves and Digital Ontology"
- Visual Culture: Image, Icon, and Ideology. 14th Annual KSU Cultural Studies Conference. Manhattan, KS. March 11, 2005.
- "Playing with the Past: Structural Pastiche and Visual Nostalgia XIII and Viewtiful Joe"
- Comics & Animation: Simultaneity & Sequentiality. 2004 UF Conference on Comics. Gainesville, FL. October 29, 2004.
- "Survival Horror Stories: Musical and Aural Landscapes"
- Narr@tive: Digital Storytelling, 2004. UCLA. Los Angeles, CA. April 23, 2004.
- "pent: house"
- A digital, concrete poem created for a pandemic-themed issue of Taper (Fall 2020).<https://taper.badquar.to/5/pent_house.html>.
- A digital concrete poem that remixes emoji graphics and their textual descriptions. Published in Taper #3 (Spring 2019.) <https://taper.badquar.to/3/trimoji.html>
- The Several Houses of Brian, Spencer, Liam, Victoria, Brayden, Vincent, and Alex
- This is a book completed for NaNoGenMo 2017 that generates an 800-page children's book with data from ConceptNet.io.
- SSBot is a Google Spreadsheets-based tool programmed in Google Apps Script that makes it easy for users to create their own Twitter Bot in a few steps. <http://zachwhalen.github.io/ssbot>
- An Arthrogram
- This is an programmatically-authored book, written in Perl, that creates grid-style comic panel layouts in every possible permutation of a 3 x 3 panel grid.
- AMBP is a web-based archive that attempts to collect student and fan-created responses, remixes, illustrations or other interpretations for all 734 pages of the novel, House of Leaves.
- Other Digital Projects
- Other projects like my many Twitter bots and odd videos are listed on my website. <http://www.zachwhalen.net/projects>.
- Electronic Literature Organization
- University of Mary Washington, Digital Intensive Working Group, 2019.
- University of Mary Washington, Curriculum Committee, 2019.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Curriculum Committee, 2017-19. (2019 chair)
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Faculty Senator, 2014-15.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Assessment Coordinator, 2013 – present.
- University of Mary Washington, Academic Affairs Committee Secretary, 2011 – 2013.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Secretary, 2011 – 2012.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Arts, Literature and Performance General Education Assessment Working Group, 2011.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Academic Affairs Committee, 2010 – 2011.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Outcomes and Assessment Committee, 2009 – 2013.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Events Committee, 2008 – 2009.
- The Programming Historian, peer reviewer, 2017.
- Modern Language Association, Committee on Information Technology, 2015-2017.
- Journal of Interactive Teaching and Pedagogy, peer reviewer, 2016, 2019.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Office of Digital Humanities, review panelist, 2012, 2016 and 2018.
- Polity Books, proposal review, 2016.
- Digital Literary Studies, peer reviewer, 2016.
- University of Minnesota Press, manuscript reviewer, 2016.
- MIT Press, proposal and manuscript peer reviewer, 2010-2012, 2015.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Insight Grant external assessment reviewer, 2013.
- Routledge Press, proposal peer reviewer, 2012, 2021.
- Design and Implementation of Educational Games: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives, Editorial Review Board Member, 2008 – 2009.
- Journal of Canadian Film Studies, peer reviewer, 2011.
- Journal of Communication Inqury, peer reviewer, 2011.
- Games and Culture, peer reviewer, 2010.
- Game Studies: The International Journal of Computer Game Research, peer reviewer, 2010.
- Gameology.org, Editor, 2004 – present.
- ImageText: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies, Production Consultant, 2008 – present.
- ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies, Production Editor, 2007 – 2008.
Available upon request.